Monday, May 27, 2019

Bulkheads for Kill Team

Totally admit I haven't been working on 40k much so far this year between all the other things.  But, I've been meaning to play some Kill Team and I was able to spend a few weekends to get some Prometheus Forge MDF painted up well enough that I would be happy with it.

Assembly was ok, just PVA glue and some sanding down.  Seems like the connectors can be a bit weak though.  And also the bee's wax or candle wax is really important.  Most difficult part was putting together the stairwells.  Rubber-bands held em together while the glue dried.





I followed the "Luke Aps" video for basic spray painting technique with a base of flat black, a zenithal lighting gray, and a under-side spray of rust.


You can see the light gray on the deck here, and then the box (or inverted bunker) you can see the rust color along the edges.

For a color scheme I went with the Sector Mechanicus scheme shown in the basic Sonic Sledgehammer Studio video.  Dry brushing worked really well for the starter ruins I have from the moon base kit and seen in the background in one of the pictures below, but not so well for the flat panels in the MDF.  So, I improvised and came up with some cool rust effects pulling down the paint to create effects that look like either water running down the side, or wind blowing water across the decking plates.



For the hazard stripes, I used the hairspray & salt paint chipping effect which turned out alright.  The paint I was using at my folks house is cheap because they live out away from good hobby stores and we had it for just making terrain, so even layering yellow over orange was difficult since it was so thin.  It had a yellow-orange-green look which in the end actually worked out because it looks badly weathered by acid rain or something.




Finally, with the salt I discovered it looked really good on the decking, like salt was applied to keep people from slipping (you know workers comp must still be a thing in the 41st millennium) and gave that final touch to make the thing look really weathered and worn.  It either looks like broken glass or salt.  I have to admit in the pictures now its a bit much, but I brushed off all the big crystals before putting it all away and since the dust stayed on it looked a lot less ridiculous and more realistic.  If I ever get tired of it it washes right off so no problem there.  It was funny how salt finished off the scenery just like food - voila!










No comments:

Post a Comment