Sunday, November 21, 2021

Dreadvember

It seems for October its traditional to either paint Orks (Orktober) or to paint a dreadnought sized model (Dreadtober).  I got a bit of a late start so its "Dreadvember."

Of course my Rogue Trader era Ultramarines wouldn't be complete without the classic 'Fury' and 'Eddy' originals and they have been sitting in my collection assembled for decades.  Actually the story is that I gave them to my dad for his army (about half of my reclaimed collection today).  He was actually to get both Dreadnoughts.  He would have made out like a bandit in the deal.  Anyway, he actually used a torch and welded these together.  Oh, by the way, if you aren't familiar they are completely metal, either pewter or lead (don't remember when they switched).  He did a pretty good job, they're fairly solid and only lost a little definition in one spot.  I think it was an incredible feat, but I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you really know what your doing.  We didn't!

Rogue Trader Furibundus Class Destroyer Dreadnought 'Fury'

Original Deredeo Class Attack Support Dreadnought 'Eddy'

Back detail

Of course the traditional Rogue Trader paint job wouldn't be complete without shark teeth, and I made sure to have them.  I looked to all the classics and other paint jobs I could find for inspiration, but to be honest I think I did a pretty great job compared to those old ones. My paint job is similar to page 173 of the RT rule book and the one below, but I wanted to add more gold to match a bit more to my army scheme, so I went with some shoulder markings.  I might go and add "DANGER" warnings to the gold panels or hazard stripes.  But I can do that later, I wanted to get these finished up because I'll be playing a game soon!


Here's some of the inspiration:

Example Ultramarine Dreadnought found online (not mine)


More examples, gotta have the teeth! (none of these are mine, used without permission, if its yours let me know and I'll give credit!)  You can see the one just above was also inspired by the ones that came before.  May my Dreadnoughts be added to the archives and be forever remembered to inspire relics for millennia to come ;)

(This one is a classic and was from a GW 'eavy Metal article in White Dwarf, but not sure which)

2 comments:

  1. Excellent ! I have two of these as well, in the Blood Angels scheme copied from the RT book, like the last couple of picts. I think I may have re-based mine onto 40mm round bases around 2008(ish).

    I now feel I should try to find them. But it's cold and dark so maybe in the spring....

    ReplyDelete