Wednesday, January 12, 2022

'Chappy' Regulus is Complete!

Terminator Chaplain Praelior Tarquinius Iulian Regulus:

What a name right?  More on that later...

Perhaps my favorite model in my collection, I had been working my skills up to paint it for a long time.  I must say I was nervous to start, but I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and he's the center piece now for my army.

It's funny because it is one of the newest models in my army - according to wh40k.lexicanum it looks like its a 4th edition model from between 2004-2008. So not strictly 1st or 2nd like almost everything else in the collection.  I was going for all Terminator HQs and Elites, and by now it is 'oldhammer' anyway, so it fits right in.

Unlike Lt. Commander Psigoras, the reference paint job for this model was exactly what I wanted.  Whomever did the paint job for the GW packaging model did an incredible job, and while I am proud of my work, it became clear (especially with the scroll text and skull helm) how much more I have to learn.  Also, I think perhaps my primer/basecoat let me down a bit.  But nevertheless, I feel I have achieved quite a lot even as there are yet more levels to reach for.  Anyway, it was great to have a reference model with every angle that I could look at while planning out my color scheme.  I think a year or two ago they finally retired the model (its a shame) so the 360 view (or any view) isn't available on the official GW site anymore, but images are still floating around online and I had saved off several.

I even replicated the litany inscriptions on the bolter and armor since they looked so neat!  I wish I could have replicated the aquila on the belt scroll, but it seemed that was just a bit beyond my reach for now.  I was really happy with how my freehand Ultra iconography turned out on the shoulder - it started off going badly but some how turned around!

Its interesting that there are a few pictures out there of the GW reference model and at some point it seems he lost his halo.  I'm not sure if this happened because their model broke and they lost it, or if they removed it because the rules changed with 'iron halos' - but its funny because it came off of my model which was one of the reasons he got shelved for a bit.  It seemed to go back on ok, but some of the primer is chipped up there, and so luckily its all under some glue.

Really excited to bring Chaplain Regulus to the table-top - Chaplains and their litanies seem so much fun, just like psykers/librarians, and I've been looking forward to this for a long time!

Back to the name, first regarding named characters in 40k in general - I feel like there are too many, their datasheets create a lame choice between optimization and customization, and I don't think I'm alone in the criticism.  (rant over)  I have enjoyed collecting, painting, and naming my miniatures and so it's very important that they represent unique characters that I named.  Awhile back I sat down to finally name all of my HQs and I wanted to make sure they had Roman-esque names to fit the Ultramarines theme.  There were so many great sounding choices that I started chaining them together, ha!  Thus, my characters have somewhat silly long names.  Additionally, I liked the librarian ranks (Lexicanium, Codicier, Epistolary and Chief Librarian which might not be cannon anymore?), so I imagine that there would be other ranks for Chaplains and such.  Not exactly sure where I came up with it, but 'praelior' translates from Latin as "battle" or "to fight" - so I use it as a Chaplain rank for a 'Battle Friar" or "Warrior Priest".

(Same with Primus Faustus the Terminator Captain - 'the first' captain)  I think there's more about Roman military ranks (here maybe) and I should probably come up with some ranks for Psigoras and Aurelius that fit in the scheme (as well as some sergeant and standard troop ranks).  Fun stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, Chaplains are cool and I’ve been working on an old school Power Armour metal Chaplain whilst you’ve had the Termie one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, glad you saw my progress, its fun to have the encouragement of others to keep up motivation in the hobby!

    ReplyDelete