Sunday, October 6, 2019

Assault Termie GIFs

The Assault Terminators are complete but I wanted to continue with the promised follow-up post with time-lapse gifs showing their incremental progress.



The images below span from approximately June to October 2019 starting from just after finishing the base coats.  They might cycle a bit fast.  Next time I might make the gif have a longer delay.





My techniques are continuing to improve, I feel I did much better with the white this time, but still I'm working on using thinner and thinner paint.  It always seems the paint is really hard to control when it is thin, because it gets runny, but it seems that is why the pros use the larger sized brushes?  Still more practice is needed.  Nevertheless, from 2-3 feet away my models look incredible and so I think I should be good to work on my Terminator Chaplain, but perhaps I'll simultaneously work on an old Captain HQ (which I have in duplicate) to test run things first.

I should note that in this picture the two terminators with TH+SS combos in the back row were not stripped and had thick coats of paint that had ruined their detail a bit.  I had purchased them off eBay this way, and rather than deal with harsh chemicals, and mostly due to laziness, I decided to see how well my paint job would hide it.  With the camera you can definitely tell (which is why I didn't take any close-ups of those two), but from a distance they look fine.


I think in the future to take better time lapse pictures for any more than one model I might mark their positions on the paper that I use for a backdrop.  Sorry that they jump around, but the whole point of this blog is to document things I learn as I go.



Speaking of learning - on reddit I just now ran into a link to painting tutorials by Darren Latham, they're really good and he has some on painting faces, power swords, and black armor - all very relevant things for me.  I think this is the next step for my personal progression - and specifically how diluted the paint is he works with and how he applies it.

2 comments:

  1. I know these are badass as they are, but I would be tempted to base on 40mm bases and put down on the table, the bigger bases would give these badass muterfookers even more gravitas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might do that, especially after I finish my Chaplain (up next) who is the only one in my collection that came with the 40mm.

    ReplyDelete