Monday, November 1, 2021

Late 1st Edition Devastators & MkVs

Didn't accomplish a lot of painting in 2020 and my Chappy n' Cappy project was on hold for awhile, but here in 2021 I'm getting back into it!  After finishing up some minis for D&D, I decided to finish off these late 1st Edition Devastators and MkVs that have been sitting around primed and ready for probably decades.



First, the MkVs are the classic Jes Goodwin sculpt #070197/3 from the 1992 Green Citadel Catalogue.  I mixed in some slightly more modern arms and weapons a bit (just bits I could find).  Its really cool to see whole armies in modern Warhammer 30k that use a bunch of new poses in the 'retro' patterns - but this is the original!

The sergeant also features my first serious attempt to do 'object source lighting' (OSL) from the glow from the overcharged plasma pistol.  It turned out really well, I focused on being very subtle.  I should have read up and refreshed myself on the technique first - I had to redo it a bit because I forgot that the deepest areas were the brightest and you start basically in reverse.


Overall I'm really happy that I'm continuing to progress in finer lines and thinner paints.  I'm seeing steady improvement as I go along.



The devastators are #070099/2 and #070099/3 from the 1992 Green Catalogue.  All of these are technically 1st edition RT models, but very late since they aren't in the '91 catalogue and 2nd edition was released in '93.  I know I bought the MkVs first hand, but not exactly sure when I acquired these two.

I continued with my classic scheme with red for most weapons.  This was my first time working with Khorne Red and Mephiston Red from either Vallejo or older Citadel paints.  Overall they are still thin and tricky, but I felt they were a bit better.  I had a lot of fun with the magboots too.



These models were always a bit wonky and top heavy (the weapons are pewter) - attaching the weapon on top of the shoulder and nesting the backpack was not straightforward.  I really should have pinned them, but I didn't.  But, if they fall off then I'll pin them.  Mainly, there's no guides for getting the arm/shoulder pad in the right spot, so I didn't want to drill into the wrong spot and have the arm end up having to be too low/high.  But if they fall off then I think I'll be better able to see where to pin/repair.



These additions really were to add more options to my army, so I don't have to play these two unless I need a 2nd heavy bolter or lascannon (and I dont play often), so it should be fine, but it really does complete the classic look.

The new sergeant with 5 earlier ones painted ~2012

With the other Devastators

The special weapons



No comments:

Post a Comment