Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Magnetized Arms

I have one terminator that I wanted to double as a Sgt for 2x 5 man squads or as a power glove for a 10 man squad.  Thus we magnetize!

The first magnets I got were small enough to fit into the standard arm hole, but as anyone that has done this knows, those magnets are a bit too small and so the arm will droop.  I had read this too, but of course I had to make the mistake myself.  Luckily the local gaming store (seems like the only ones left in my area) had 1/8" magnets which work better.  I would now have to drill both the arm and the body, but its ok.

I first snipped off the arm post from the body and since the mini is classic metal (I think pewter) it didn't cause other problems.  I then used the pin drill to put in a pilot hole.

Later at my dad's house we used the Foredom to drill out the holes.  This machine was handed down by my grandpa who was a jeweler, its great. 



The metal wasn't as hard to work with as I was worried about.  The main problem was just extracting the smaller magnet I had tried in one of the arms.  Again my dad's workshop came to the rescue, he has very fine dentist drill bits for the thing that allowed me to dig around and pry out the smaller magnet.

Then it was a matter of drilling to the correct depth and putting them in with a bit of glue.  I eyeballed the depth and got lucky I think.  The magnet into the body didn't even need glue.  One of the arms didn't quite seat properly, so definitely should be more careful next time.



And the arms stay in position!


No comments:

Post a Comment