Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Battle Report: LGS Escalation League - The Guard! (Heretics!)

The local game store has a 40k Escalation League (progressively larger games with a volunteer rules facilitator).  And since I recently will have some free nights for a few months I decided on a whim to go and get some more experience.

For my first match I ran into the Guard - aka the Astra Millitarum.  My opponent, Austin, was just getting back into 40k.  This would be my first match against forces of the Imperium interestingly enough.  I joked that we should roll off to see who was the traitor, but Austin decided that probably his Cadians would be deemed corrupted and thus Space Marines sent to purge them.  Maybe so, but in the 41st (well now 42nd) millennium, no one is above suspicion!

Face Off against the Cadians!  Tank vs Tank Suits (its all propaganda though, don't recommend standing in front of a tank, even in a 'tank suit')

Battle Report:

Ruleset: 2022 War Zone Nephilim Grand Tournament - Incursion (w/ Q4 Balance Datasheet)
Mission: 31 Rise of the Machine Spirit
Points: 1000

My Forces:

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP  1,000pts ++
**Chapter Selector**: Ultramarines
Battle Size [3CP]: 2. Incursion (51-100 Total PL / 501-1000 Points) [3CP]
Game Type: 4. Chapter Approved: War Zone Nephilim

+ HQ  +

  • Praelior Tarquinius Iulian Regulus - Chaplain in Terminator Armour 4. Mantra of Strength, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Benediction of Fury, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Crozius arcanum, Litany of Hate, Storm bolter, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], Stratagem: Relic of the Chapter [-1CP], Wise Orator
  • Lt Cmdr Psigoras - Lieutenant: Adept of the Codex, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma pistol, Power sword, Stratagem: Warlord Trait [-1CP], Warlord

+ Troops +

  • Nero - 10 man Tactical Squad - Plasma pistol, Power sword , Heavy bolter, Meltagun
  • Vitus - 10 man Tactical Squad - Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Lascannon, Plasma gun

+ Elites +

  • Nox - 5 man Terminator Assault Squad - Teleport Homer, 2x Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield, 3x Lightning Claw (Pair)
  • Tourbillion - 5 man Terminator Squad - Power sword, Storm bolter, Assault cannon, Chainfist 3x, Power fist

Secondaries: Oaths of Moment, We March for Macragge, and Behind Enemy Lines.

Austin's Cadian Guard (Guess):

+ HQ  +

  • Company Commander: Frag grenades, Laspistol
  • Tank Commander: Heavy Bolter, Stat Damage (Leman Russ Commander), Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon, Warlord, 2x Multi-melta

+ Troops +

  • Infantry Squad - 10 man Squad with Heavy Weapon Team: Heavy bolter, Lasgun, Laspistol
  • Infantry Squad - 10 man Squad with Heavy Weapon Team: Heavy bolter, Lasgun, Laspistol
  • Infantry Squad - 10 man Squad with Heavy Weapon Team: Heavy bolter, Lasgun, Laspistol

+ Elites +

  • Bullgryns - 3x Bullgryns with Frag bombs, Grenadier gauntlet, Slabshield

+ Heavy Support +

  • Leman Russ Punisher: Heavy Bolter, Stat Damage (Leman Russ), Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon, 2x Multi-melta
  • Leman Russ Punisher: Heavy Bolter, Stat Damage (Leman Russ), Turret-mounted Punisher Gatling Cannon, 2x Multi-melta

Secondaries: Raise the Banners High, Inflexible Command, Boots on the Ground


Takeaways & Analysis:

Perhaps I'll add a turn by turn analysis later, but in summary I made a few early mistakes that made the difference.  I conceded at the end of turn 3 even though our victory point total was closely matched (38-40) because I wouldn't have the force strength needed to maintain my position and eke ahead.  (I did feel a bit bad ending the game early, but also it was late on a Sunday and as per usual I was going a bit slow so we were already 3 hours in)

Tactical units set up to Inload some Data-Psalms.  Amen.

My goal was to use tactical units to hold the quadrant positions and perform actions while Tourbillion and the Lieutenant held the center for Oaths of Moment, and Regulus and Squad Nox beamed in behind.  Much to my chagrin, however, in my pregame planning I didn't think about how much smaller an Incursion board is compared to a Strike Force battle field, and against armies with large footprints (hordes) you can get blocked out of a deep strike.  So my plan was foiled really before we began the game. Doomed!  Also I need to bring more meltas to deal with armor and other tough targets.  Lascannons just never work and so I don't know why I bring them (well the models are some of my favorite).  

Vitus charges up the left flank


...and finds some friends!

Tactically, I did a better job with cover this game, but still didn't put the terminators into cover initially.  There kinda wasn't room with the terrain, but it turns out that because ruins are breachable and the piece had a base, I could have set up with a model 'toeing in' or inside and just walked through the wall and have been fine.  You would think this would sink in because I've had a few games going second now.  Finally, I need to be more diligent about pile-in and consolidate moves to make it harder for big vehicles to fall back.  I think this was the first game against vehicles where the opponent did that, so hadn't thought about that before.  "Tripointing" or “wrapping” is probably needed (I guess it might be harder to do in 9th now?) so its good that I'm getting to the point where I need to learn this.

There were some fun moments though: once again Brother Veridian alone withstood withering fire from practically the entire Cadian army.  A marine with a knife stabbing through tank armor!  And Praelior Regulus and squad Nox made an inspired (by Canticle of Hate) charge into Ausitn's tank commander.  But later, when Nox was completely destroyed, Regulus' voice faltered (snake eyes roll!) and it was a sign from the Emperor to pack up and go home!


"Ah, I see you've played Knifey-Tanky.."


"Ey mates, I've got a permit to drive this..."

++++

Brothers, the heretic will feel the fury of our righteousness.  Cast them in---- (explosion sounds) ++++Transmission End++++

-Tarquinius Regulus

No comments:

Post a Comment