Thursday, October 13, 2022

Next Dive into Green Stuff: Tactical Rocks

Using green stuff for fixing gaps and such was a fairly easy way to get started and learn how to work with it.  Next I used it for creating 'tactical rocks.'  This required a bit more skill in sculping rocks, but since rocks are usually blobs, it didn't take much skill.  Obviously real rocks of different types have different properties - river rocks are generally smooth, shale or similar sedimentary rock are rough and have 'fissile' characteristics (splitting flat), and so on.  So I didn't achieve any particular uniform rock-like characteristics - I just made blobs, but I think with some mud, paint, and ballast I can make them a bit more rock like.



This tactical rock didn't quite get centered under the foot, but I felt it was all right since maybe sometimes these transhumans have more things to worry about on the battlefield than posting with the foot squarely on the rock, you know, gotta make sure that hammer is just so for the warcry.  Pretty much all of the other minis in this squad needed a similar rock and got most of those centered, so this guy has character, maybe he's earned the name 'Shifty' or something.



Here we had some extra so I made some tactical mud to go with the tactical rock, which is of course hiding the bit of pewter supporting the foot and connecting it to the base slot tab.  I think this rock looks fine and its got a split in the front.  Using the silicone sculpting tools I was able to add texture and think it looked good enough. The 'mud' will probably get covered by paint-mud or ballast, but at least it will add a bit of dimension.


No comments:

Post a Comment