Thursday, October 20, 2022

Another Dive into Green Stuff: Seams and Such

I have moved on from sculpting rocks.  The original reason for the dive into green stuff was to be able to mount the space marine jump packs with enough of a gap to allow for the shoulder pauldrons to fit when the character is lifting the weapon up. I found that to support the raised arms, the jump packs had to be tilted back a bit and there wouldn't be enough surface contact to create a strong bond.  This is exactly what green stuff is supposed to fix.

I also wanted to learn how to use the stuff for smaller seams as well, such as the gaps between the two halves of the torso for the veteran sergeant, and the two halves of 2 plastic jump packs.


I think I did a pretty good job with the interface between the jump pack and torso for the veteran sergeant.  I even added some texture to simulate connection cables/joints.  I didn't get pictures of the metal miniatures but there I just went a bit more basic and kinda just extended the block from the back of the torso.

Using the sculpting tools I feel I was able to get the green stuff into the recesses and flattened and smoothed on the various surfaces of the jet pack pretty well.  

On the torso, which was actually the first thing I tried, I think the visible areas were pretty good, but I could have done a bit better job around the gorget.  Luckily, with the head in place, all of this area should be well hidden.


Finally, to add a bit more 'bling' to the sergeant, I used another bit from the Ultramarines upgrade sprue and attached an ultima to the jump pack.  I think they intend for it to mount on top like the final on a flag, but I prefer to avoid things like that where possible (already enough things that can break off) so instead I wanted to mount it flush.

No comments:

Post a Comment