Wednesday, January 16, 2013

First Contact: Tau

My second game was at around 750 points against a Tau opponent. It was a friendly match and we didn't follow all of the Eternal War rules. His HQ unit was Aun'Va. An observer pointed out that he wasn't a legal choice in games under 1500 points.but it was still a chance to see how things would turn out.

Mission: Purge the Alien
Deployment: Dawn of War
I won the roll and elected to deploy second. My opponent set up in a line so my troops were literally walking into a firing squad. My plan was to try and focus all of my units on the right flank and take out the HQ. The special rules for Aun'Va indicated that if he fell the remaining troops would have to take a morale check. It seemed to be the only hope as it was too late to switch in a Land Raider. I broke my units into combat squads so the heavies wouldn't have to move.

Turn 1
I had positioned Faustus in the front to absorb incoming shots with his +2 save. It worked in that he absorbed ~50 shots and only took 1 wound. Unfortunately I also lost by vet/sergeant with the power sword.
On my move the rocket launcher and plasma cannons took out 4 Tau while Faustus and company ran forward. I didn't get the melee elements of my tactical squads far enough up on this turn.

Turn 2
Faustus falls to the heavy sustained fire from the entire Tau line. After he fell most of the squad was wounded leaving only Vitus standing.
On my move I had an ultimate, lucky shot from the plasma canon: it missed and scattered right into Aun'Va! He failed to save and was instantly killed! It was great. Unfortunately, however, all of his units passed their morale checks.
Next, the sole surviving member of my HQ command squad, Brother Vitus, charged into the remains of Aun'Va's honor guard and killed 2 xenos causing a route. As they retreated he destroyed the remaining 25 units with his sweeping advance. Wow!

The remainder of the game I pushed forward and eliminated the stealth suit unit as my numbers fell.

Tau: 7 victory points including First Blood and Slay the Warlord
Ultramarines: 3 victory points including Slay the Warlord

Takeaways:
As I've read and now seen you need to move up and melee Tau as soon as possible. Transports, drop pods, and/or deep strike or fast attack would have helped a lot but was hard to get in at 750 points. I wonder if it would have been different if I had moved first and/or he had brought a legal HQ.

Story:
----

Aun'Va, Master of the Undying Spirit, proponent of the Greater Good, is a xeno abomination in the eyes of the Emperor. Purgation would not be straight forward commander. Our simulations indicate that their numbers make them quite formidable even if their stature and technology are less robust.
As weak as the xenos appear, our simulations also indicate that their will may not be assuredly broken with the loss of their spiritual leader Aun'Va in a direct assault. Indeed, the sight of their fallen leader is just as likely to inspire their troops to find some courage.
Primius, it is recommended we deploy assault squads and drop troops directly onto the enemy. At range they have hope thus a direct crushing blow from the fist of the Emperor is necessary to insure
victory.
ANALYSIS TECHMARINE GUSTOV ILODIES
COMPLETE 4043013.M42











No comments:

Post a Comment