Monday, January 14, 2013

Rogue Trader Speeders

I love the original Rogue Trader era Land Speeder. It was basically 2 space marines strapped to 2 giant engines buzzing across the battlefield. In the later versions of the model Games Workshop seemed to take the humor out of the design without adding anything to make it seem to fit in the "grim darkness" of the far future in an imperium that is in the dark ages of technology. The newer versions of the model look like flying shoes.

But the classic version is where it is at! These are some of the very first models I collected. One was also assembled a long time ago by my dad when we were working on them together and I had given him some of my collection for his army. I remember he actually used a torch to weld some of it together and it melted the seat and the engine a bit behind the pilot! Ha!

Later on when it was clear we wouldn't finish them that way I took that army back which is about half of my collection of marines. A few years ago I assembled the second speeder but left the riders off to make painting easier. I got as far as a base coat of blue which is where I picked them up here.

I wanted to go with a bit of a rougher look on the paint job because a) it would be easier b) it is really hard to find examples of good paint jobs for these on line and c) I thought it would give a good Rogue Trader black and white sketch feeling to them. I even found the exact art I was thinking of that inspired me. I think it was actually from one of the White Dwarf compilation books.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the freehand chapter symbols and the engines turned out better than I thought. Wasn't sure what to do with them but I came up with the look while working on the "lava" power swords. I also was happy with how the green computer display and gun camera lenses turned out. Finally I was a bit disappointed with how blue they ended up being so I tried to add a little gold into one of the searchlights? That is on the front. Maybe I'll come back and add more gold trim later but for now they are ready for games!













No comments:

Post a Comment