Friday, February 4, 2022

The Mystery of the 'Transition Marines'

 I've been trying to identify the catalogue numbers for my retro 40k collection and I've discovered that this model is hard to identify:

When I tried crowdsourcing a bit with reddit I found a reference to so called "Transition Marines".  There is a wiki page here that seems maybe abandoned which labels them as such and has images of the three Mark VIs that I have in my collection.

The thinking is that they are from around between '89-'91 or maybe as late as '93.  I would think they are towards the end of that range.  It seems they had perfected the look of the Mark VI in this miniature, particularly the shape of the helmet - finally settling on something that reminds me of a F-15 nose/cockpit.  Also the chest hoses look good and don't attach awkwardly to the underside of the helmet in a way that didn't look so good on a miniature.  Also the bolter is definitely more of the 2nd edition style with the housing that has an Aquila.

Also interestingly it seems these "Transition Marines" all seem to be full body sculpts - no plastic arms/shoulders to allow for customization of loadouts (the backpack was still plastic though).  So perhaps these represent the transition from the very early retro Rogue Trader look, to the late 1st ed/ early 2nd ed designs, but lacked the customization options?  Not sure.

I couldn't find much other information, but so far the theory is that these never appeared in catalogues.  I'd really like to know more about them, so hopefully someday someone will come along to shed some light on this mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment