Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Master of the Forge Samus Dexter is Complete!

 Behold: Master of the Forge Samus Dexter!

Frater Dexter is truly a classic Rogue Trader - the model appears in the 1989 Catalogue as #410506.  However, model came with a standard plastic backpack which I decided to 'upgrade' to a slightly more modern 2nd edition metal techmarine backpack that features the servo-arm.  I felt this would better give wysiwyg options and the standard techmarine silhouette on the battlefield.  And the name is of course from WD97.  

I finally got that heavy pewter backpack pinned on the other week after a slightly harrowing drive over the mountains to visit my folks where I was able to get to the tools to do the job.  Pinning didn't quite go as planned, but it seems sturdy enough.  I then applied the basing (classic style to match the rest of the army) and then finished with dullcote, some metallic highlights that got dulled, and 'ard coat on the lenses.

I'm quite pleased with how the radar unit turned out, and the helm visor.  I must admit that I was a bit lost on these details originally.  Luckily I ran into the same #410506 miniature on instagram by stonecoldleadfigurepainting who had done an excellent job and so I applied the same ideas.

Whenever I get a chance to play a game the toolbox allows for me to suggest he has any number of wargear in the box, I love it.  I think the metallic green turned out really great.  It was gunmetal washed with contrast.  My dad has some toolboxes in approximately that color that inspired it.  Also, the drill!  Techmarines unfortunately don't have any drill wargear, but I'm sure I can create a custom weapon with the same stat line as an existing melee weapon they have for rule of cool factor.

I was really happy with how the Ultramarines sigil turned out on the backpack.  The classic techmarines had the weird demon hand on the shoulder which did not lend itself to displaying any chapter markings easily, so I just painted it chapter colors.  The bolt on the servo-arm was perfectly positioned behind it.  I would imagine that the sigil spins as the arm moves, but it would be upright when the arm is in the stowed position.



2 comments:

  1. Lovely old school, I used the Jetbike rider to do a MotF on a bike sidecar back in the day when SM armies could take MotF. Love the lenses, and toolbox. Mine: https://weemen.blogspot.com/2011/06/hi-all-i-have-finished-my-not-so-secret.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Siph! Great Jetbike conversion! I actually have an old jetbike in my collection, but with a commissar - no idea what I'll do with it, maybe someday start a IG army, ha!

    ReplyDelete