Thursday, April 20, 2023

Explicator Bromley Complete!


Continuing with my experiment with "Slap Chop 2.0", or should I say concurrently - I have completed the Inquisitorial Acolyte Explicator Bromley.  Bromley has appeared several times now in the Vadinax Global Campaign as well as in my upcoming new D&D campaign as a variant human wizard.

Overall I'm fairly happy with how he turned out.  Contrast worked pretty well for the robes and face, as well as the parchment.  On both the Multi-Melta Devastators and Bromley, I experimented with an undercoat of Iyanden Yellow contrast before using a second coat of Blood Angels Red contrast to really warm it up.  It worked great.


I also used a drybrush technique to do the flames on the torch/flamethrower staff.  I think it worked out well and it was very simple.  I used the Artis Opus technique and brushes.  I probably could have used more orange, red, and black/gray, but its still fine, just a bit hotter of a flame.  A lot of examples of the model had painted the brazier dark metallic colors, but since the flames were leaping out a bit, I felt the illumination/heat effect looks realistic enough.



Overall the model came together in a total of just over 9.5 hours.  When compared with other character models that I've painted recently, contrast cut the time roughly in half.  I would say that the "Slap Chop" technique is really great for troops, especially ones with a lot of skin or fabric type surfaces, but for characters I think the savings in time dramatically fall off.  You're going to want to be spending time on details, and characters are usually small batches of models, so at that point I think traditional techniques perhaps augmented by contrast tinting make more sense, or I guess at that point it becomes using the right paint technique for the job.  Again as before I have the same criticism of the zenithal quality from a rattle can - it probably looks better with an air brush.


I didn't go for any OSL effects from the torch this time, but I suppose I could revisit that maybe, but probably not though.  Those effects could have been potentially achieved in the beginning step using some tinting undercoats perhaps, but again an airbrush would have probably been the way.

The model itself is a classic OOP metal miniature and I think the date on it was 2003.  Its found in the 2005 Catalogue as "Witch Hunter Acolyte 2: 9947010804803" - I was lucky to find it on eBay exactly when Inquisitorial Acolytes were added to the Vadinax Campaign to attach to your army to provide a re-roll bonus.  It was the perfect chance to paint up a fun miniature that could also easily double as a steampunk D&D wizard!

No comments:

Post a Comment