Friday, April 14, 2023

Multi-Melta Devastators Complete!



This squad was a study in using the so-called 'Slap Chop 2.0' technique.  While I've used contrast paint before on DA GOFF ROKKAZ and a few D&D miniatures, this was the first time trying it on the flat panels of power armor.  I was also adding in the technique of using a zenithal highlight of gray on black with white highlights.  This is the basic 'slap chop' technique that has appeared online somewhat recently (2022 or so?).  Then there some prolific painters that put forward a 2.0 version that basically uses colorized airbrush steps instead of a grey zenithal, and then does edge highlighting in key areas to make it 'pop'
Since I don't have access to an air brush, I couldn't try the colorized zenithal or anything, but I was able to do a bunch of edge highlighting to do an approximation of the technique.

There was definitely a learning curve here - part of it was using Ultramarine Blue Contrast - which I hadn't really used at all, and getting this to match the standard paint formula that I use for Ultramarines which is closer to the 2nd edition colors rather than the 'modern' 9th edition colors (soon to be 10th edition) of today (2023).

Once I got it figured out though, I was actually surprised at how it turned out, its somewhat close.  I also compared the time it took to paint the models (per model) with my last devastator squad using my standard technique.  The last squad took an average of 594 minutes per model (or about 10 hours), while this 'slap chop 2.0' method took 257 minutes per model (or 4 hours and 20 min).  This is a significant reduction for approximately the same quality.  I think this has been beaten to death already online, but I wasn't sure if it was an acceptable paint job quality level for me.  Turns out I think it could be for troops of the line level models, and elements of the technique could be applied elsewhere.

What really lets it down for my set-up is the grainy spots from the rattle-can zenithal highlight.  I imagine a real airbrush significantly improves this effect, but for me I was seeing grainy spots up close.  Furthermore, with limited rattle-can options in colors (and an unwillingness to buy anything other than black and gray right now), I wasn't able to take advantage of the effects to undercoat with browns or yellows to create deeper or more interesting colors/lighting.  Thus they look a bit flat and faded compared to my standard scheme, even after adding the highlights.

Still it wasn't bad.  I kinda got a more painterly effect going since I had to add in a bit of my ligher 2nd edition blue in a weird midlevel step between the contrast shade and highlight.

The squad itself is not quite an actual squad, but rather 4 multi-meltas to finally form a solid anti-tank devastator squad, plus another las cannon and an armorium cherub.  I was a pair of legs short to create another sergeant (oops) but I still have enough to field everything I need.  Its for the best, I can add another sergeant perhaps with the grav-pistol that I got at a later point when I don't have higher priority things to get to.

Two of the models are very ancient:

First is Heavy Weapon D1 from the 1988 Citadel Miniatures catalogue



And next was D3 also from 1988.  Both were designed by Aly Morrison and Mark Copplestone






I couldn't find an older listing, but these were some of the first miniatures in my collection.  D1 is especially wonky with his weird pose and the way his chest hose connects to his helm.  They are pewter (or maybe even lead) and pinned together so the weapons should be pretty well connected.  They're very interesting because they dont have the backpacks that would become standard, but instead they have kind of unique backpacks built into the sculpt.







The rest of the models are extremely modern, plastic, and nothing really to write home about.  I do like the modern 'first born' kits though.  After 40 years they've nailed the best look for the Mk VI 'Beakie' and Mk VII helms, and I really like how you can customize their poses.  It is a bit hard to get the arms, shoulders, and weapon cabling all lined up right when you go to glue though.  






Anyway, I think its kind of fun to mix in modern models now into my army to make it all seem like each marine has his own unique armor.  I think at this point my army has infantry units spanning most eras of 40k.  One of the newer models is a Horus Heresy style Mark VI body and Mult-Melta.  Again its fun to mix in pretty much all of the different configurations of this weapon - underslung, shoulder mounted, and the conventional pistol grip.






The armorium chereb was fun to do, but really kinda shows the problem with the zenithal technique here.  I probably should have tried to get a bit more gray under.  The effect creates a really dark shadow, which might be realistic in a way, and then the flesh has a kind of ashen tone to it.  But perhaps this is reasonable for a creepy flying cyborg baby.









No comments:

Post a Comment